Challenge B.I.G - Forum

1.000 cycling climbs/ascensions cyclistes

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Dundret

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GoranS

PostSubject: Dundret   Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:12 am

It struck me today that what is, to the best of my knowledge, the toughest paved climb that is open to the public in Sweden is not included in the list. The climb is known as Dundret and is located just outside of Gällivare, some 80-100 km south of the Luossavaara climb, number 31 on the list, i.e. far up north. More information can be found at http://cklaponia.se/banprofiler/banprofil_hillclimb2.htm

I have not ridden the climb myself, but if I remember correctly from a trip I made with my parents when I was 13, the views are quite nice from the top.

Since Daniel wrote in another thread that he was not sure if the Swedish climbs on the list are actually the "best" ones, I thought this information might be of interest.

Last edited by GoranS on Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daniel gobert
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dundret   Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:13 pm

Hi, thanks. (tack så mycket).

MTB eller road-bike ?

GoranS

PostSubject: Re: Dundret   Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:05 pm

It is a paved climb, so a road-bike would be perfectly suitable. There are three pictures at the end of http://www.buenavistaac.com/inbjudan_dundret_bergsduathlon.pdf showing the climb. The fourth is from a foot path that also leads to the top (or actually a bit higher than the road).

While down in Italy last year, I talked to some guys who live in that area far up north, or, actually, they lived in Kiruna which is nearby by their standards, only about 100km away. They told me that they have time-trial up the Dundret hill in August each year. Actually, I think that race is part of series of races they also talked about. However, since there are not many people living up there (and even fewer who ride a bike - snow mobiles are much more popular), the series is a collaboration between a few different clubs from different places. This means that some of the competetions were quite far from where they lived, so on a Wednesday after work they could drive up to 200km, just to do a 30 km time trial and then drive back! It certainly takes tough guys to be cyclists up there. Very Happy

By the way, this forum is a really interesting mix of languages. Laughing However, since I guess you, Daniel, is one of quite few non-Scandinavians to understand Swedish, I'll stick to English which, unfortunately, is the only other language that I feel reasonably comfortable writing in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dundret   

Back to top Go down

Dundret
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Challenge B.I.G - Forum :: zones BIG :: zone 01-
Jump to: